"12 April" by Gary Cole

DixieRifles

Major
Member of the Year
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
On the eve of the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Fort Pillow, this new book has been release.

"12 APRIL" - by Gary C. Cole

About 5 years ago, I was contacted with questions about a webpage I had created on my Ancestors. The person from Texas identified themselves as a descendant of a COLE from Mississippi. He was a genealogist who had researched the COLE lineage going back to Williamsburg area in the early 1700’s. He could track all the family members except for one; Richard W. Cole who seemed to have disappeared. My webpage gave the answer to his search: Private Richard W. Cole was killed at the Battle of Fort Pillow on April 12, 1864.

From this introduction, I became friends with two of my 3rd cousins who were also descendants of Private Richard W. Cole. Both were exceptionally good at genealogy research. They considered me their military expert. As a team, we began further research into the military records and documents of our common family ancestors.

Gary Cole decided to expand on my brief webpage article and write a story focusing on the COLE family during the war and detailing what happened to each member. From this start, he began to flesh out the story and make it more personal. He has done his homework in tracing the steps of each of the family members and their regiments. He provides references for all the facts he quotes. He even references back to my original webpage. This is part of the reason the book is 658 pages.

I wanted to share this in this Ancestry forum.

Link to Amazon listing
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1490724397/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

On the eve of the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Fort Pillow, this new book has been release.

"12 APRIL" - by Gary C. Cole

About 5 years ago, I was contacted with questions about a webpage I had created on my Ancestors. The person from Texas identified themselves as a descendant of a COLE from Mississippi. He was a genealogist who had researched the COLE lineage going back to Williamsburg area in the early 1700’s. He could track all the family members except for one; Richard W. Cole who seemed to have disappeared. My webpage gave the answer to his search: Private Richard W. Cole was killed at the Battle of Fort Pillow on April 12, 1864.

From this introduction, I became friends with two of my 3rd cousins who were also descendants of Private Richard W. Cole. Both were exceptionally good at genealogy research. They considered me their military expert. As a team, we began further research into the military records and documents of our common family ancestors.

Gary Cole decided to expand on my brief webpage article and write a story focusing on the COLE family during the war and detailing what happened to each member. From this start, he began to flesh out the story and make it more personal. He has done his homework in tracing the steps of each of the family members and their regiments. He provides references for all the facts he quotes. He even references back to my original webpage. This is part of the reason the book is 658 pages.

I wanted to share this in this Ancestry forum.

Link to Amazon listing
http://www.amazon.com/12-APRIL-Gary-C-Cole/dp/1490724397/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395162088&sr=8-2&keywords=12 april

Congratulations Dixie ! Well done ! Our round table recently had Brian Wills talking about Forrest at Fort Pillow. Real interesting !

Last edited:
Back