Trivia 12-20-16 The things babies do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regular question:

This is a guess, but I'm pretty sure Confederate brigadier general Daniel Smith Donelson, who lived with Pres. and Mrs. Jackson at the Hermitage as an adopted child, would have had the chance to pull the Predident's nose and poke his eye ...

"Donelson was born in Sumner County, Tennessee, one of the three sons of Samuel and Mary "Polly" Smith Donelson. Donelson's father died when Donelson was about five. When his mother remarried, Donelson moved to The Hermitage, the home of his aunt, Rachel Donelson Jackson, and her husband, future President of the United States Andrew Jackson. Rachel and Andrew Jackson adopted Donelson and his two brothers."

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.ph...sPage&page=Daniel_Smith_Donelson&id=745440956

Christmas bonus 2:

Of the 19 men Wikipedia lists as "Notable Civil War leaders from North Carolina" 18 are born in NC.
Only James H. Lane is a native Virginian

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=North_Carolina_in_the_American_Civil_War&oldid=754143387

Last edited by a moderator:
CSA General George Washington Custis Lee.
Source: Intimate Strategies of the Civil War, edited by C.K. Bleser and L.J. Gordon, page 46.

bonus Answer: 22. Were born in NC
Except Brig. General James H. Lane, born in Matthews Courthouse, VA.
North Carolina in the American Civil War-Wikipedia

Edit - The term "notable" is very subjective. Any number of widely varying lists of notable people can be prepared, depending on the criteria used to decide who was notable and who was not.

It is apparent that, for the purposes of the list used as the basis for the official answer, "Notable Civil War Leaders from North Carolina" were defined as Confederate generals who were living in North Carolina at the time the war started. However, since this point was not clarified, I have to accept all the answers that players gave, assuming that each player came up with his or her own definition of "notable" and then counted the notable leaders on that basis.

I am somewhat surprised to note that the official answer, based on the 23 notable leaders listed in the indicated source, says that 22 of those 23 were born in North Carolina and James H. Lane was the only one who wasn't born there. Two of the players who cited the same source also stated that James H. Lane was the only one who wasn't born there. According to every source I checked, Daniel Harvey Hill was born in South Carolina, not North Carolina.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back