Trivia 11-17-15 No, the other one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Most people know that Jeb Stuart used a LeMat revolver. But what other revolver was he carrying when he was killed at the Battle of Yellow Tavern, May 11, 1864?

credit: @cwtalker15

Edit - Thank you for submitting your question, cwtalker15. Welcome to the trivia game.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
He was carrying a .36 Whitney pistol

Whitney.PNG

https://books.google.de/books?id=ge...QFA9c#v=onepage&q=jeb stuart's pistol&f=false

A Beatles album. Historians are still scratching their heads over how he got it or what he intended to do with it.

Edit - I still had this response in mind when I got to Ole's post # 27, and all I could think of was Ringo. Took me a while to figure out that there was a pistol model known as the Starr.

Hoosier

It is claimed to have been the .36 Whitney Navy revolver, s/n 3110 that resides now, along with other Stuart artefacts, at the Virginia Historical Society in Richmond. Despite all the internet certainties, it appears not to be known for sure that he was carrying this pistol at Yellow Tavern.

Touring Virginia's and West Virginia's Civil War Sites also by Clint Johnson
https://books.google.com/books?id=5...v=onepage&q=stuart 36 caliber whitney&f=false

Let's hope it isn't the "LeFaucheux" answer. The original LeMat utilized ammunition designed by Eugene LeFaucheux. His invention was the placement of a firing pin inside each cartridge instead of using the nipple/percussion cap system or a firing pin on the hammer. In his later models, LeMat abandoned the Lefaucheux system and went with nipple/percussion caps.

Stuart had the later model and not the earlier one. One can only imagine the impracticability of the South keeping special bullets supplied to Jeb if he'd had the other one! Despite this, there are websites out there which copy each other to say his favorite pistol was a LeFaucheux.

Most people know that Jeb Stuart used a LeMat revolver. But what other revolver was he carrying when he was killed at the Battle of Yellow Tavern, May 11, 1864?

credit: @cwtalker15
I'm brand new to ya'lls forum, but i aint brand new to ACW history. I'd be honored to play in your trivia game!

Stuart SUPPOSEDLY had a .36 Whitney on him when he caught the ball that would eventually kill him.

What's more interesting would be if someone could explain the "DKW" initials on said revolver!

Edit - Your answer of .36 Whitney is correct, 7th Texas Mounted Rifles. Welcome to the trivia game and to CivilWarTalk. Hope you'll come back and continue to play the game.

As for the initials "DKW" - sorry, I have no idea.

Hoosier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back