Trivia 10-7-16 Name the Monument & Friday Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
10-7-16.jpg

1. Name this monument and its location.
2. Who is buried at the base of this monument?

credit: @chellers

Bonus:
I was first a 2nd Lieutenant, then a private, then a Colonel, then a Brigadier General, then a Colonel, then a Major, then a Brigadier General, then a
Private, then a Full General. Who am I?

credit: @Reb

The Confederate Memorial at the Arlington National Cemetery. The monument was sculpted by Moses Jacob Ezekiel (fought as a VMI cadet at the Battle of New Market, Virginia).

* Joe Wheeler

Edit - Though you didn't specifically say he was buried at the monument, you did mention Moses Ezekiel's name, so I will give credit for your answer to the main question.

Joe Wheeler, however, is not a correct answer for the bonus question.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Answer:
1. Confederate Memorial- Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA
2. Four notable burials occurred at the compass points of the Confederate Memorial, and stand out from the rest of the graves nearby for not being part of the concentric circles of burials. These are the graves of Moses Ezekiel, Lieutenant Harry C. Marmaduke, Captain John M. Hickey, and Brigadier General Marcus J. Wright. It is unclear why these four were buried next to the memorial and not elsewhere in the Confederate section. Ezekiel, Wright, and Hickey all played major roles in creating the Confederate section and bringing the memorial into being, but it is less clear why Marmaduke warranted burial at the foot of the memorial (although his notable war service may have justified it).

Bonus:
????- Looking forward to seeing an answer for this one (and if this encompasses three or four wars!).

1. The Confederate Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery.
2. By the end of 1901 all the Confederate soldiers buried in the national cemeteries at Alexandria, Virginia, and at the Soldiers' Home in Washington were brought together with the soldiers buried at Arlington and reinterred in the Confederate section. Among the 482 persons buried there are 46 officers, 351 enlisted men, 58 wives, 15 southern civilians, and 12 unknowns. They are buried in concentric circles around the Confederate Monument, and their graves are marked with headstones that are distinct for their pointed tops. Legend attributes these pointed-top tombstones to a Confederate belief that the points would "keep Yankees from sitting on them." http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Explore/Monuments-and-Memorials/Confederate-Memorial

Bonus:
I was first a 2nd Lieutenant, then a private, then a Colonel, then a Brigadier General, then a Colonel, then a Major, then a Brigadier General, then a Private, then a Full General

I think you must be Albert Sidney Johnston
1826 2nd Lt., 2nd US Infantry/6th Infantry
1834 resigned commission
1836 Private, Texas Army
1836 Colonel, Texas Army
1837 Brigadier General, Texas Army
1846 Colonel, 1st Texas Rifle Volunteers, war against Mexico
1849 Major, US Army Paymaster
1855/6 Colonel, 2nd U.S. Cavalry (ahem, ahem)
1857 Brevet Brigadier General, Utah War
1861 Private, Los Angeles Mounted Rifles
1861 Full General
1862 Death at Shiloh

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fjo32

My last Trivia entry for a time. God bless all. "See" you soon from Bloemfontein, South Africa - God willing.

Edit - The main question asked about those who were buried at the base, not in the concentric circles. The source you cited names the four who were buried at the base.

Your answer to the bonus question was correct. Have a good trip to South Africa. :wavespin:

Hoosier

Friday question: Confederate monument at Arlington National Cemetery. "Four graves are at the four points of the compass in front of the memorial. These are: Moses Ezekiel [the sculptor]; Lt. Harry Marmaduke, Confederate Navy; Capt. John Hickey, Second Missouri Infantry; and Brigaider General Marcus Wright, Confederate Army."
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...ieze_-_Arlington_National_Cemetery_-_2011.JPG

Bonus: Gotta pass on this one; scanned a bunch of biographies that came up on searches, and none fit. :banghead:

This is the Confederate Monument in Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

Moses Ezekiel is buried there. Also buried there is Lt. Harry C. Marmaduke, Capt. John M. Hickey and Brig. General Marcus J. Wright.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Explore/Monuments-and-Memorials/Confederate-Memorial

Bonus.

I am hoping it is Albert Sydney Johnson. There were only 7 confederate full generals and none with that ranking from the Union side. Johnson is the only Full General that I can document was a private.

This is the Confederate Monument at Arlington National Cemetery. Buried at the compass points at the base of the monument are Moses Ezekiel,the sculptor, Lieutenant Harry C. Marmaduke, Captain John M. Hickey, and Brigadier General Marcus J. Wright.(Wiki)

Bonus: Richard W. Johnson I can only guess that he was a full general in the GAR, but have found no evidence to prove that guess. (Wiki)

Regular question:

1) That is the Confederate Memorial at Arlington National Cemetary
2) There a four graves at the base of the memorial:
  • Moses Ezechiel (the sculptor of the monument)
  • Lt. Harry C. Marmaduke
  • Capt. John M. Hickey
  • Brig. G. Marcus J. Wight
upload_2016-10-7_14-15-4.png

From Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.ph...(Arlington_National_Cemetery)&oldid=719407391

Bonus: pass

I found very few men who enlisted as privates and rised through the ranks to become a general (Forrest, Barlow, W.W.H. Davis), but could not find anyone who did that twice.
My guess is that you are an immigrant...
Can't wait to read the answer!

The Confederate Monument at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington Virginia
Sir Edward Ezekiel the sculptor of the monument is buried at the base

Bonus: Going to guest U.S. Grant since he held many ranks from academy, Mexican war, private life and then back to Civil War

Edit - The name of the sculptor was Moses Jacob Ezekiel. I can find no reference indicating that he was ever known as Edward.

Hoosier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back