Trivia 10-14-16 Who am I? & Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
In my lifetime I held patents on almost one hundred gimmicks, gadgets, and improvements to Agriculture and the implements thereof. Every one of them was intended to feed a hungry growing nation, better and more effectively. Today, I am remembered for only one of those agricultural patents, and only because it was never manufactured for for its intended purpose. Instead it was put to work in a much more sinister and far-reaching fashion....

Who Am I?

credit:
@saddlebum92

bonus:
Connie Mack born 22 Dec 1862 died 8 Feb 1956 was a American professional baseball player, manager, and team owner. What was his relationship to the Civil War?

credit: @Seduzal

Gatling_gun.jpg

in case that's not accepted as an answer: richard jordan gatling

bonus: his father drew a disability pension (don't believe that's it, though)

Edit - Connie Mack's father's disability pension was a direct result of his Civil War service, so I will accept that answer.

Glad you accompanied the picture with a text explanation of the answer to the main question.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
bonus: Mack's father became a wheelwright. During the American Civil War, he served with the 51st Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment.[8] Michael McGillicuddy suffered from several ailments as the result of his military service; he was able to work only infrequently, and drew a disability pension.[9]

Edit - No answer given for main question.

Hoosier

Eli Whitney (December 8, 1765 – January 8, 1825) was an American inventor best known for inventing the cotton gin. This was one of the key inventions of the Industrial Revolution and shaped the economy of the Antebellum South.[1] Whitney's invention made upland short cotton into a profitable crop, which strengthened the economic foundation of slavery in the United States. Despite the social and economic impact of his invention, Whitney lost many profits in legal battles over patent infringement for the cotton gin. Thereafter, he turned his attention into securing contracts with the government in the manufacture of muskets for the newly formed United States Army. He continued making arms and inventing until his death in 1825.
Source:
Bonus: Cornelius McGillicuddy (December 22, 1862 – February 8, 1956), better known as Connie Mack.
Mack's father became a wheelwright. During the American Civil War, he served with the 51st Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
Source:

Wild guess: Eli Whitney
************************************************************************************************
Bonus:
Mack's father became a wheelwright. During the American Civil War, he served with the 51st Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment.[8] Michael McGillicuddy suffered from several ailments as the result of his military service; he was able to work only infrequently, and drew a disability pension.

Source: Wiki

Richard Jordan Gatling. The gun was based on his seed planter and his intention was to invent a machine that would replace large numbers of men, thus saving them from death by disease (!)

Bonus: Cornelius "Connie Mack" Alexander McGillicuddy's father served in the 51st Mass Infantry

upload_2016-10-14_12-52-12.png

Connie Mack: A Life in Baseball
By Ted Davis

Richard Jordan Gatling. Richard had modified his rice-seed planter into a cartridge-feeding apparatus, and he built his Gatling gun around this mechanism.
source-http://northcarolinahistory.org/encyclopedia/gatling-gun/

bonus- Mack's father became a wheelwright. During the American Civil War, he served with the 51st Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment.[8] Michael McGillicuddy suffered from several ailments as the result of his military service; he was able to work only infrequently, and drew a disability pension.

Richard Jordan Gatling

The Gatling gun was based on the patent for his Gatling’s seed planter

"He established himself in St. Louis, Missouri, and taking the cotton-sowing machine as a basis he adapted it for sowing rice, wheat and other grains, and established factories for its manufacture. The introduction of these machines did much to revolutionize the agricultural system in the country."
http://www.nndb.com/people/592/000104280/

Bonus: Connie's father Michael McGillicuddy was in the 51st Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry

After two days of searching for a person who meets the criteria suggested in the question, I will just take a stab at it and guess Richard Jordan Gatling?

BONUS:
His father, Michael McGillicuddy, served in the 51st Massachusetts Infantry. The regiment was organized at Worcester MA September 25 to October 30, 1862 and mustered out July 27, 1863.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back