Stonewall “Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John at VMI”

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
1236515_302627643212096_1136440914_n.jpg

These canons at VMI were used by the VMI cadets in the battle of New Market during the American Civil War.
The Cadet Battery was cast in 1848 specifically for VMI. The four six-pounder cannon were manufactured to be 300 pounds lighter than their service counterparts to enable artillery training by the young VMI Cadets, and were painted red to further distinguish them from standard pieces. Artillery instruction at VMI prior to the Civil War was taught by, among others, Major Thomas J. Jackson. Between 1851 and 1861, Jackson instructed over 400 cadets in artillery tactics; those cadets would become the officer corps for the artillery of the Army of Northern Virginia.
Artist Cathleen Lawless was moved during a January 2003 visit to the Institute by the stunning incongruity between their past and present. Her brother, Jim Conrad, graduated from VMI in 1978. Their frozen stillness on that day belied their loud and violent history. The converging pattern of the bright red carriages against the brilliant white snow caught the artist's eye, not as weapons of war, but as an intriguing composition of color and contrast. She sought to memorialize in watercolor the color, the contrast, the past and the present as she saw them that cold January day.
" Reposing Cold and Silent" is the result. Juried into the Virginia Watercolor Society's 2004 Annual Exhibition, the painting captures the unlikely beauty and quiet solitude of Jackson's Battery in a manner befitting the irony of their names: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Its soft evocation of the VMI colors, red, white and yellow, bind together alumni who for over 150 years have equated Jackson's Battery with the omnipresent legend of Stonewall himself. It is a window into both the past and present at VMI, depicting icons of history that have known both war and peace, in its own way representative of the uniqueness of the VMI experience.
http://www.vmi.edu/content.aspx?id=13079

View attachment 20886
These canons at VMI were used by the VMI cadets in the battle of New Market during the American Civil War.
The Cadet Battery was cast in 1848 specifically for VMI. The four six-pounder cannon were manufactured to be 300 pounds lighter than their service counterparts to enable artillery training by the young VMI Cadets, and were painted red to further distinguish them from standard pieces. Artillery instruction at VMI prior to the Civil War was taught by, among others, Major Thomas J. Jackson. Between 1851 and 1861, Jackson instructed over 400 cadets in artillery tactics; those cadets would become the officer corps for the artillery of the Army of Northern Virginia.
Artist Cathleen Lawless was moved during a January 2003 visit to the Institute by the stunning incongruity between their past and present. Her brother, Jim Conrad, graduated from VMI in 1978. Their frozen stillness on that day belied their loud and violent history. The converging pattern of the bright red carriages against the brilliant white snow caught the artist's eye, not as weapons of war, but as an intriguing composition of color and contrast. She sought to memorialize in watercolor the color, the contrast, the past and the present as she saw them that cold January day.
" Reposing Cold and Silent" is the result. Juried into the Virginia Watercolor Society's 2004 Annual Exhibition, the painting captures the unlikely beauty and quiet solitude of Jackson's Battery in a manner befitting the irony of their names: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Its soft evocation of the VMI colors, red, white and yellow, bind together alumni who for over 150 years have equated Jackson's Battery with the omnipresent legend of Stonewall himself. It is a window into both the past and present at VMI, depicting icons of history that have known both war and peace, in its own way representative of the uniqueness of the VMI experience.

And they spit forth the "Gospel" to a many of them yankee blue bellies......

Respectfully,

William

I'm impressed by the watercolor painting. I took quite a few art classes in college, from drawing to acrylic to oils. Each can be corrected, if necessary. But watercolor is particularly unforgiving, the smallest error is visable, and attempts to correct it just create a bigger mess.

View attachment 20886

Been there many times. It's one of my favorite trips. Many things to see in Lexington. I have often thought that Lexington would have been the perfect place to open up one of the branches of the Museum of the Confederacy. I am really sorry that Lexington was not chosen.

Last edited:
View attachment 20886

Preachers of " Fire and Brimstone !!! "

Been there many times. It's one of my favorite trips. Many things to see in Lexington. I have often thought that Lexington would have been the perfect place to open up one of the branches of the Museum of the Confederacy. I am really sorry that Lexington was not chosen.
Lexington was approached IIRC and the town leaders turned down the MOC

I have always wondered if William Pendelton who named the canons was influenced by the old prayer and nursery rhyme "Matthew, Mark, Luke and John". It is also known as the Black Paternoster. It is a prayer said by children before they go to bed. I was taught it by my father.

"Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John,
Bless the bed that I lie on.
Four corners to my bed,
Four angels round my head;
One to watch and one to pray
And two to bear my soul away."

I did have a four poster bed as a child.

Back